problem with hold in gnuplot

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

problem with hold in gnuplot

Mario Storti-4

Hi all!

When I issue  'hold on',  subsequent  'replot' commands give plots  or
blank screens  in a rather random sequence.  Here is a transcript of a
typical  session.  (I inserted  lines  containing '(plot)'  or '(blank
screen)' depending on the result of the given command. )

========== TRANSCRIPTION OF OCTAVE SESSION =====================
> Octave, version 2.0.11 (i586-pc-linux-gnulibc1).
> Copyright (C) 1996, 1997, 1998 John W. Eaton.
> This is free software with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
> For details, type `warranty'.

> octave> x=(0:.1:10)';
> octave> plot(x,sin(x))
> (plot)
> octave> hold
> octave> plot(x,-sin(x))
> (blank screen)
> octave> replot
> (blank screen)
> octave> replot
> (plot)
> octave> replot
> (blank screen)
> octave> replot
> (blank screen)
> octave> replot
> (blank screen)
> octave> replot
> (plot)
> octave> replot
> (blank screen)
> octave> replot
> (plot)
> octave> replot
> (plot)
> octave> replot
> (plot)
> octave> replot
> (plot)
> octave> replot
> octave> plot(x,-.5*sin(x))
> (plot)
> octave> plot(x,-.5*sin(x))
> (plot)
> octave> replot
> (plot)
> octave>
================================================================

Octave: version 2.0.11 (i586-pc-linux-gnulibc1).
Gnuplot: 3.5 (RedHat package 3.5-5)
Linux: RedHat 4.0 (Kernel 2.0.18)

Any hints?

(BTW, I visited the Octave Web page recently. Very cool indeed that
rotating thing.)

Cheers,

Mario

%%%%%%<>%%%%%%<>%%%%%%<>%%%%%%<>%%%%%%<>%%%%%%<>%%%%%%<>%%%%%%<>%%%%%%<>%
Mario Alberto Storti                           | Fax: (54)(42) 55.09.44 |
Centro Internacional de Metodos Computacionales| Tel: (54)(42) 55.91.75 |
     en Ingenieria - CIMEC                     |........................|  
INTEC, Guemes 3450 - 3000 Santa Fe, Argentina                           |
Reply: [hidden email], http://venus.unl.edu.ar/gtm-eng.html |


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

problem with hold in gnuplot

John W. Eaton-6
On 11-Mar-1998, Mario Storti <[hidden email]> wrote:

| When I issue  'hold on',  subsequent  'replot' commands give plots  or
| blank screens  in a rather random sequence.  Here is a transcript of a
| typical  session.  (I inserted  lines  containing '(plot)'  or '(blank
| screen)' depending on the result of the given command. )

I think this is a bug in gnuplot's X11 driver.

| Any hints?

Go back to the web page and check out the patch on the page

  http://www.che.wisc.edu/octave/mailing-lists/help-octave/1998/88

There is also a link to that from the News page.

Thanks,

jwe


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: problem with hold in gnuplot

lash-5

I applied the patch to gnuplot, and I sometimes get the
message

partial read!

repeted several times.  I see where you added that,
and I could comment it out, but is it indicating a
specific problem that I should be concerned about?

I am running under linux, and am trying to get the
demos in WaveLab running.  It uses lots of 4-up
plots, if that makes a difference.

Bill Lash
[hidden email]

>
> On 11-Mar-1998, Mario Storti <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> | When I issue  'hold on',  subsequent  'replot' commands give plots  or
> | blank screens  in a rather random sequence.  Here is a transcript of a
> | typical  session.  (I inserted  lines  containing '(plot)'  or '(blank
> | screen)' depending on the result of the given command. )
>
> I think this is a bug in gnuplot's X11 driver.
>
> | Any hints?
>
> Go back to the web page and check out the patch on the page
>
>   http://www.che.wisc.edu/octave/mailing-lists/help-octave/1998/88
>
> There is also a link to that from the News page.
>
> Thanks,
>
> jwe
>
>


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: problem with hold in gnuplot

John W. Eaton-6
On 12-Mar-1998, [hidden email] <[hidden email]> wrote:

: I applied the patch to gnuplot, and I sometimes get the
: message
:
: partial read!
:
: repeted several times.  I see where you added that,
: and I could comment it out, but is it indicating a
: specific problem that I should be concerned about?

Oops.  I stuck that in while I was trying to figure out what was going
on and forgot to remove that before I made the patch.  You should
delete the printf call.  I'll try to fix the patch soon.

Thanks,

jwe