python with octave project (Pythonic)

Nader Nabil
Hi all , I started with building octave and solving a bug , what should i do next ? , solving an issue related to Pythonic project ? , also i need to discuss the project with the mentors to enhance my understanding to the project.

Re: python with octave project (Pythonic)

Mike Miller-4
On Thu, Mar 05, 2020 at 12:48:11 +0200, Nader Nabil wrote:
> Hi all , I started with building octave and solving a bug , what should i
> do next ? , solving an issue related to Pythonic project ?

Yes, sounds good, work on a few. There are plenty of open Pythonic bugs
to work on, including a few marked as good for new contributors:

- https://gitlab.com/mtmiller/octave-pythonic/issues
- https://gitlab.com/mtmiller/octave-pythonic/issues?label_name%5B%5D=good+first+issue

> also i need to
> discuss the project with the mentors to enhance my understanding to the
> project.

Sounds good. The wiki has good advice on getting started.

Re: python with octave project (Pythonic)

Nader Nabil
Thanks, I'll check them out.

On Fri, Mar 6, 2020, 10:13 Mike Miller <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Thu, Mar 05, 2020 at 12:48:11 +0200, Nader Nabil wrote:
> Hi all , I started with building octave and solving a bug , what should i
> do next ? , solving an issue related to Pythonic project ?

Yes, sounds good, work on a few. There are plenty of open Pythonic bugs
to work on, including a few marked as good for new contributors:

- https://gitlab.com/mtmiller/octave-pythonic/issues
- https://gitlab.com/mtmiller/octave-pythonic/issues?label_name%5B%5D=good+first+issue

> also i need to
> discuss the project with the mentors to enhance my understanding to the
> project.

Sounds good. The wiki has good advice on getting started.

Re: python with octave project (Pythonic)

Nader Nabil
Hi, Mike
There is a problem in building the code , i have downloaded the repository and tried to build using "make"
first problem :
/bin/sh: 1: mkoctfile: not found
Makefile:117: recipe for target 'oct-py-error.o' failed

i downloaded : sudo apt install liboctave-dev and this problem solved
then i tried to build again but it gives me these errors in the picture attached

oct-py-types.cc: In function ‘PyObject* pythonic::make_py_numeric_value(const octave_value&)’:
oct-py-types.cc:250:15: error: ‘const class octave_value’ has no member named ‘islogical’
     if (value.islogical ())

i opened the class octave_value and made sure that these members existed .

On Fri, Mar 6, 2020 at 10:13 AM Mike Miller <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Thu, Mar 05, 2020 at 12:48:11 +0200, Nader Nabil wrote:
> Hi all , I started with building octave and solving a bug , what should i
> do next ? , solving an issue related to Pythonic project ?

Yes, sounds good, work on a few. There are plenty of open Pythonic bugs
to work on, including a few marked as good for new contributors:

- https://gitlab.com/mtmiller/octave-pythonic/issues
- https://gitlab.com/mtmiller/octave-pythonic/issues?label_name%5B%5D=good+first+issue

> also i need to
> discuss the project with the mentors to enhance my understanding to the
> project.

Sounds good. The wiki has good advice on getting started.

Screenshot from 2020-03-08 00-57-06.png (113K) Download Attachment

Re: python with octave project (Pythonic)

Colin Macdonald-2
On 2020-03-07 10:59 p.m., Nader Nabil wrote:
> oct-py-types.cc: In function ‘PyObject*
> pythonic::make_py_numeric_value(const octave_value&)’:
> oct-py-types.cc:250:15: error: ‘const class octave_value’ has no member
> named ‘islogical’
>       if (value.islogical ())
>
> i opened the class octave_value and made sure that these members existed .

What version of Octave?  You might open a new issue at
gitlab.com/mtmiller/octave-pythonic

Re: python with octave project (Pythonic)

Mike Miller-4
Hi Nader,

Please always use the mailing list when asking for help and discussing
projects. You've sent me a couple direct messages today that should have
gone to the list. I'm cc'ing the list now to bring this back into
public.

Now, on to your message.

On Mon, Mar 09, 2020 at 03:30:02 +0200, Nader Nabil wrote:
> I am stuck and need help to build the pythonic package and start solving an
> issue

From what I can see, you already asked about this yesterday, and Colin
answered you on the mailing list 20 minutes later. But from your
messages today, it seems like maybe you haven't seen or taken Colin's
message into consideration.

If Colin's reply was not helpful enough, could you have responded to him
and asked for more information? If you didn't see his reply, are you not
subscribed to the mailing list properly?

Please take the time to read and understand the advice on this page to
give yourself the best chance to be a part of this community:

  https://wiki.octave.org/Summer_of_Code_-_Getting_Started

Please remember that we are all volunteers and everyone's time is
valuable.

Cheers,

Re: python with octave project (Pythonic)

Nader Nabil
Hi Mike ,
Sorry for that , i am already subscribed to the mailing list but i didn't notice Collin's reply , sorry again.

to Collin : my octave version is GNU Octave, version 4.2.2  .
Do i have to  install another version ?

On Mon, Mar 9, 2020 at 8:11 AM Mike Miller <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Nader,

Please always use the mailing list when asking for help and discussing
projects. You've sent me a couple direct messages today that should have
gone to the list. I'm cc'ing the list now to bring this back into
public.

Now, on to your message.

On Mon, Mar 09, 2020 at 03:30:02 +0200, Nader Nabil wrote:
> I am stuck and need help to build the pythonic package and start solving an
> issue

From what I can see, you already asked about this yesterday, and Colin

On 2020-03-09 8:16 a.m., Nader Nabil wrote:
> my octave version is *GNU Octave, version 4.2.2  .
> *Do i have to  install another version ?

I suspect so.  What is the minimal version required for Pythonic?  This
should be documented somewhere, like in DESCRIPTION.  If not, that's
probably a bug you should file with Pythonic.  And then fix that bug ;-)

Colin

Re: python with octave project (Pythonic)

Nader Nabil
i didn't found the octave version needed for Pythonic in the Readme it the repository

Colin

Colin

Colin

On 2020-03-09 12:41 p.m., Nader Nabil wrote:

> i didn't found the octave version needed for Pythonic in the Readme it
> the repository
>
> On Mon, Mar 9, 2020 at 2:23 PM Colin Macdonald <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     On 2020-03-09 8:16 a.m., Nader Nabil wrote:
>      > my octave version is *GNU Octave, version 4.2.2  .
>      > *Do i have to  install another version ?
>
>     I suspect so.  What is the minimal version required for Pythonic?  This
>     should be documented somewhere, like in DESCRIPTION.  If not, that's
>     probably a bug you should file with Pythonic.  And then fix that bug ;-)

1.  Please bottom-post on this list..

2.  "probably a bug you should file with Pythonic."  And have you done so?

Colin

On 2020-03-09 2:02 p.m., Nader Nabil wrote:
> I have solved an issue from Pythonic issue list , how to submit the
> changes ?

Most projects have a README and/or a CONTRIBUTING document.

Re: python with octave project (Pythonic)

Nader Nabil
i have read pythonic documentation and i have some questions
https://wiki.octave.org/Pythonic

from Ideas section :
1-
"This works only when all the keys for the dict are strings."
x = pyeval ("{1:'one',2:'two'}");
but the key here is not string and it is working
note :      x.("1") ... this syntax generates the following error for me :

error: AttributeError: 'dict' object has no attribute '1'
error: called from
    subsref at line 42 column 9

but this syntax worked : x{1}  , ans = one

2-
Element indexing on a list or other sequence object with a range or set of indices doesn't return the right number of output arguments.

code :

x = py.list ({1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6});
x{1:3}
y = {x{1:3}};

current output :
y =
{
  [1,1] =
  {
    [1,1] =  1
    [1,2] =  2
    [1,3] =  3
  }
}

 Is this the correct wanted output :
y = [1.0 , 2.0 , 3.0]  ?

Colin

On 2020-03-09 8:16 a.m., Nader Nabil wrote:
> my octave version is *GNU Octave, version 4.2.2  .
> *Do i have to  install another version ?

I suspect so.  What is the minimal version required for Pythonic?  This
should be documented somewhere, like in DESCRIPTION.  If not, that's
probably a bug you should file with Pythonic.  And then fix that bug ;-)

Colin

Fwd: python with octave project (Pythonic)