"current" URL/link for Octave docs

apjanke-floss
Hi, Octave maintainers,

Whenever I google for Octave documentation, it picks up the old 4.2.1
release. E.g. googling for "octave loglog" gets me
https://octave.org/doc/v4.2.1/Two_002dDimensional-Plots.html. And when
I'm sharing links to Octave doco, I often don't want a particular
release; just the "latest and greatest".

What do you think about making a https://octave.org/doc/current link to
the latest stable version's doco? Then we could link to
latest-and-greatest. And over time, maybe that would acquire enough
googlejuice that it would become the top results for Octave doco
searches, so people would find the current docs when searching?

Cheers,
Andrew

I'd be all for it.  I remember having a similar conversation last year [1]. would it also be worth somehow marking the old ones as an 'archive' or something with a link to 'current'?

On 7/5/20 12:48 PM, Nicholas Jankowski wrote:

>     What do you think about making a https://octave.org/doc/current link to
>     the latest stable version's doco? Then we could link to
>     latest-and-greatest. And over time, maybe that would acquire enough
>     googlejuice that it would become the top results for Octave doco
>     searches, so people would find the current docs when searching?
>

> I'd be all for it.  I remember having a similar conversation last year
> [1]. would it also be worth somehow marking the old ones as an 'archive'
> or something with a link to 'current'?

Definitely yes, in my opinion. I think that would be a help to the
majority of users who land on those pages.

Re: "current" URL/link for Octave docs

siko1056
On 7/6/20 1:50 AM, Andrew Janke wrote:

> On 7/5/20 12:48 PM, Nicholas Jankowski wrote:
>>     What do you think about making a https://octave.org/doc/current link to
>>     the latest stable version's doco? Then we could link to
>>     latest-and-greatest. And over time, maybe that would acquire enough
>>     googlejuice that it would become the top results for Octave doco
>>     searches, so people would find the current docs when searching?
>>

>> I'd be all for it.  I remember having a similar conversation last year
>> [1]. would it also be worth somehow marking the old ones as an 'archive'
>> or something with a link to 'current'?
>
> Definitely yes, in my opinion. I think that would be a help to the
> majority of users who land on those pages.

This feature already exists.  The latest GNU Octave documentation has
always been available from

   https://octave.org/doc/interpreter

Now I am overhauling the website a little and added a more intuitive link

   https://octave.org/doc/latest

Thus "latest" and "interpreter" point to the latest version of the
documentation now.  A further step was to implant some version chooser
into the manual pages itself, but this requires some more work...

Kai

On 7/7/20 10:14 PM, Kai Torben Ohlhus wrote:

> This feature already exists.  The latest GNU Octave documentation has
> always been available from
>
>    https://octave.org/doc/interpreter
>
> Now I am overhauling the website a little and added a more intuitive link
>
>    https://octave.org/doc/latest
>
> Thus "latest" and "interpreter" point to the latest version of the
> documentation now.  A further step was to implant some version chooser
> into the manual pages itself, but this requires some more work...

Cool! Thanks for adding the "latest" URL.

It looks like this is implemented as an HTTP redirect, not an alias.
Would this work better as an alias? With a redirect, I think you get
less googlejuice, and when users are viewing these pages in a browser
and then copy the URL for sharing with other people or pasting in to
Stack Overflow answers or whatever, they end up getting the
version-specific URL, so the version-specific URLs are what end up
getting propagated into the world of discussion on the web.

Cheers,
Andrew

On 7/8/20 4:55 PM, Andrew Janke wrote:

> On 7/7/20 10:14 PM, Kai Torben Ohlhus wrote:
>> This feature already exists.  The latest GNU Octave documentation has
>> always been available from
>>
>>    https://octave.org/doc/interpreter
>>
>> Now I am overhauling the website a little and added a more intuitive link
>>
>>    https://octave.org/doc/latest
>>
>> Thus "latest" and "interpreter" point to the latest version of the
>> documentation now. [...]
>
> Cool! Thanks for adding the "latest" URL.
>
> It looks like this is implemented as an HTTP redirect, not an alias.
> Would this work better as an alias? With a redirect, I think you get
> less googlejuice, and when users are viewing these pages in a browser
> and then copy the URL for sharing with other people or pasting in to
> Stack Overflow answers or whatever, they end up getting the
> version-specific URL, so the version-specific URLs are what end up
> getting propagated into the world of discussion on the web.
>
> Cheers,
> Andrew

I see.  So far I did not regard this as a problem, as certain URLs are
only valid for a certain Octave versions. For example, betacdf() moved
in version 4.4 from core Octave to the OF statistics package.

Thus posting the URL

   https://octave.org/doc/v4.2.0/XREFbetacdf.html

qualifies for a permalink, while

   https://octave.org/doc/latest/XREFbetacdf.html

is just another broken link on the web as soon as "4.2.0" is no longer
"latest".

Is there a better way to fix this?

Kai

On 7/8/20 9:34 PM, Kai Torben Ohlhus wrote:

> On 7/8/20 4:55 PM, Andrew Janke wrote:
>> On 7/7/20 10:14 PM, Kai Torben Ohlhus wrote:
>>> This feature already exists.  The latest GNU Octave documentation has
>>> always been available from
>>>
>>>    https://octave.org/doc/interpreter
>>>
>>> Now I am overhauling the website a little and added a more intuitive link
>>>
>>>    https://octave.org/doc/latest
>>>
>>> Thus "latest" and "interpreter" point to the latest version of the
>>> documentation now. [...]
>>
>> Cool! Thanks for adding the "latest" URL.
>>
>> It looks like this is implemented as an HTTP redirect, not an alias.
>> Would this work better as an alias? With a redirect, I think you get
>> less googlejuice, and when users are viewing these pages in a browser
>> and then copy the URL for sharing with other people or pasting in to
>> Stack Overflow answers or whatever, they end up getting the
>> version-specific URL, so the version-specific URLs are what end up
>> getting propagated into the world of discussion on the web.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Andrew
>>

> I see.  So far I did not regard this as a problem, as certain URLs are
> only valid for a certain Octave versions. For example, betacdf() moved
> in version 4.4 from core Octave to the OF statistics package.
>
> Thus posting the URL
>
>    https://octave.org/doc/v4.2.0/XREFbetacdf.html
>
> qualifies for a permalink, while
>
>    https://octave.org/doc/latest/XREFbetacdf.html
>
> is just another broken link on the web as soon as "4.2.0" is no longer
> "latest".
>
> Is there a better way to fix this?
>
> Kai

Hrmm. That is an issue. And I have no idea how to fix it. I'll try to
find some time to think about this.

Cheers,
Andrew