rsvg-convert Required to Build Octave 4

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

rsvg-convert Required to Build Octave 4

Thomas D. Dean-2
rsvg-convert is required to build octave 4 from hg.

I have Ubuntu 16.04.  apt-get build-dep octave did not install rsvg-convert.

Where may I find it?

Tom Dean

_______________________________________________
Help-octave mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/help-octave
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: rsvg-convert Required to Build Octave 4

Thomas D. Dean-2
On 05/15/2016 05:16 PM, Thomas D. Dean wrote:
> rsvg-convert is required to build octave 4 from hg.
>
> I have Ubuntu 16.04.  apt-get build-dep octave did not install
> rsvg-convert.

Also, configure does not check for the presence of rsvg-convert or icotool.

I found it in librsvg2-bin

Tom Dean

_______________________________________________
Help-octave mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/help-octave
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: rsvg-convert Required to Build Octave 4

Mike Miller-4
On Sun, May 15, 2016 at 18:39:24 -0700, Thomas D. Dean wrote:
> On 05/15/2016 05:16 PM, Thomas D. Dean wrote:
> > rsvg-convert is required to build octave 4 from hg.
> >
> > I have Ubuntu 16.04.  apt-get build-dep octave did not install
> > rsvg-convert.
>
> Also, configure does not check for the presence of rsvg-convert or icotool.

Yes, configure does check for both of these programs.

> I found it in librsvg2-bin

That is the right package.

You might find this Ubuntu relevant:

  How do I find the package that provides a file?
  http://askubuntu.com/q/481/70254
 
--
mike

_______________________________________________
Help-octave mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/help-octave
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: rsvg-convert Required to Build Octave 4

Thomas D. Dean-2
On 05/15/2016 11:32 PM, Mike Miller wrote:

>> Also, configure does not check for the presence of rsvg-convert or icotool.
>
> Yes, configure does check for both of these programs.
>

There is some disconnect between configure and building octave.  When I
did a configure with neither of these installed, I believe configure did
not indicate an error.  But, make failed.

If it is interesting, I can back out the installation of both programe
and keep a script of the configure/build.

Tom Dean

_______________________________________________
Help-octave mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/help-octave
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: rsvg-convert Required to Build Octave 4

Mike Miller-4
On Mon, May 16, 2016 at 00:20:25 -0700, Thomas D. Dean wrote:

> On 05/15/2016 11:32 PM, Mike Miller wrote:
>
> > > Also, configure does not check for the presence of rsvg-convert or icotool.
> >
> > Yes, configure does check for both of these programs.
> >
>
> There is some disconnect between configure and building octave.  When I did
> a configure with neither of these installed, I believe configure did not
> indicate an error.  But, make failed.
>
> If it is interesting, I can back out the installation of both programe and
> keep a script of the configure/build.

No, no need.

There are several tools that are needed to build Octave as a developer
from hg that are not needed to build Octave as a user from an official
source release. These tools are not installed by `apt build-dep` because
Ubuntu builds from the source release. Some of these tools are bison,
flex, gperf, icotool, and rsvg-convert.

If configure doesn't find any of these tools it will issue a warning
message saying something like "this tool wasn't found, but it's only a
problem if you're building from hg". It will mark the tool as not found
and continue building, and an error will occur if make needs to run the
tool for any reason.

If you are building from a source release, none of these tools will be
needed and make will succeed.

--
mike

_______________________________________________
Help-octave mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/help-octave