silly question

Gorazd Brumen
just to abstract from the even functions,

I have this for loop in some function

for j = 1:n
   rh(j) = rth (j, P, rh, rd, w, L, parvec, h);
   rd(j) = rtd (j, 10, L, P, rh, rd, w, parvec, h);
end

when I run the function, it does not print j's
when the loop is running, but at the end, together
with the results. I assume this is a normal behavior,
but why is it like this? Would it not be better to print
things out at their respective execution times??

g.

--
Gorazd Brumen
Mail: [hidden email]

Re: silly question

Robert A. Macy
I've had it happen both ways, but most of the time it acts
like a "batch" print at the end of the run.  Not sure what
has triggered it to always wait until the end now.

Win98
running binary
octave 2.1.50a-inst.exe

The program takes over 10 minutes to run each time, so I
enjoyed the little printouts to let me know the program
wasn't dead.  Any ideas?

               - Robert -

On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 23:57:35 +0100
 Gorazd Brumen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> just to abstract from the even functions,
>
> I have this for loop in some function
>
> for j = 1:n
>    rh(j) = rth (j, P, rh, rd, w, L, parvec, h);
>    rd(j) = rtd (j, 10, L, P, rh, rd, w, parvec, h);
> end
>
> when I run the function, it does not print j's
> when the loop is running, but at the end, together
> with the results. I assume this is a normal behavior,
> but why is it like this? Would it not be better to print
> things out at their respective execution times??
>
> g.
>

> --
> Gorazd Brumen
> Mail: [hidden email]
> WWW: http://valjhun.fmf.uni-lj.si/~brumen
> PGP: Key at http://pgp.mit.edu, ID BCC93240

Re: silly question

Dmitri A. Sergatskov

Robert A. Macy wrote:

> The program takes over 10 minutes to run each time, so I
> enjoyed the little printouts to let me know the program
> wasn't dead.  Any ideas?
>
>                - Robert -

help page_output_immediately
help waitbar

Also,
help more
may be of some interest.

Hope that helps.

Dmitri.

Re: silly question

Robert A. Macy
Dmitri,

That's EXACTLY what I needed.  Thank you.

But odd that page_output_immediately is so often set to
non-zero values?

Any ideas on that?

              - Robert -

On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 20:16:07 -0700
 "Dmitri A. Sergatskov" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Robert A. Macy wrote:
> >
> > The program takes over 10 minutes to run each time, so
> > enjoyed the little printouts to let me know the program
> > wasn't dead.  Any ideas?
> >
> >                - Robert -
>
> help page_output_immediately
> help waitbar
>
> Also,
> help more may be of some interest.
>
> Hope that helps.
>
> Dmitri.

Re: silly question

John W. Eaton-6
On 20-Mar-2005, Robert A. Macy <[hidden email]> wrote:

| That's EXACTLY what I needed.  Thank you.
|
| But odd that page_output_immediately is so often set to
| non-zero values?
|
| Any ideas on that?

What do you mean that it is "so often set to non-zero values"?  If
there is some odd behavior to report, then can you please provide a
complete example that can be used to demonstrate the odd behavior?