split.m

Søren Hauberg
Hi,
I don't really know which list is the right place to ask, but here goes:
I find the behaviour of split to be a bit annoying. It returns a matrix,
where each row is a string padded with blanks to fit the matrix.

I'd like to make split return a cell array of strings instead of a
matrix. Would a patch for this be accepted?

/Søren

Re: split.m

Keith Goodman
On 6/19/05, Søren Hauberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I'd like to make split return a cell array of strings instead of a
> matrix. Would a patch for this be accepted?

Here's a patch. How do I escape "{" and "}" in the help text?

splitpatch (3K) Download Attachment

Re: split.m

Keith Goodman
On 6/19/05, Keith Goodman <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On 6/19/05, Søren Hauberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > I'd like to make split return a cell array of strings instead of a
> > matrix. Would a patch for this be accepted?
>
> Here's a patch. How do I escape "{" and "}" in the help text?

@{ and @} work. A new patch is attached. (The brackets are not placed
in the right position since I do not know how to control the blanks in
texinfo.)

splitpatch (3K) Download Attachment

Re: split.m

Keith Goodman
On 6/19/05, Keith Goodman <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 6/19/05, Keith Goodman <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > On 6/19/05, Søren Hauberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > > I'd like to make split return a cell array of strings instead of a
> > > matrix. Would a patch for this be accepted?
> >
> > Here's a patch. How do I escape "{" and "}" in the help text?
>
> @{ and @} work. A new patch is attached. (The brackets are not placed
> in the right position since I do not know how to control the blanks in
> texinfo.)
This patch is not worth the traffic I'm generating. Sorry.

I forgot to add spaces between some function names and ().

In your own coding do you use "func (x)" or "func(x)". And do you use
texinfo for your help text?

Keith Goodman wrote:

>>>Here's a patch.
Wow, I didn't have to do the coding myself - great!

> In your own coding do you use "func (x)" or "func(x)".
Me? I don't know :-) I think I mostly write "func(x)", but I'm not sure
- I don't think to much about style.

> And do you use texinfo for your help text?
Depends. If the code is publicly available then yes. For my own
"private" stuff I usualy don't bother.

Thanks,
Søren

P.S. Which list should I have send my original post to?

Re: split.m

Keith Goodman
On 6/19/05, Søren Hauberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
> P.S. Which list should I have send my original post to?

I'd say bug since the bug list seems to be used for simple feature
requests. If it was a very complicated change that required lots of
discussion then I'd say the maintainers list. But, as you can tell,
I'm new to all of this. All I know for sure is don't send it to the
MathWorks.