sudo fink install octave-atlas still running after 24 hours

sudo fink install octave-atlas still running after 24 hours

Richard Shinn
Hello,

I'm trying to install octave on Mountain Lion on an Intel Core 2 Duo MacBook Pro . I  followed the instructions on this page. web page:

www.finkproject.org/download/srcdist.php

After doing the following and entering the last command to install, my machine was still, apparently installing (at 100% CPU capacity) 24 hours later. I finally killed the install. Can you help me figure out what when wrong? I can't believe the install could possibly take that long, even on my old Core Duo.

$ xcode-select -switch /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer
$ sudo xcodebuild -license
$ cd $HOME/Downloads
# Downloaded the tar ball
$ tar -xvf fink-0.34-4.tar.gz
$ cd fink-0.34.4
$ ./bootstrap
$ /sw/bin/pathsetup.sh
$ fink selfupdate-rsync
$ fink index -f
# This command was still running 24 hours later at full CPU capacity
$ sudo fink install octave-atlas

Thanks very much.

Rich Shinn

Re: sudo fink install octave-atlas still running after 24 hours

bpabbott
Administrator
On Jan 6, 2013, at 10:21 AM, Richard Shinn <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to install octave on Mountain Lion on an Intel Core 2 Duo MacBook Pro . I  followed the instructions on this page. web page:
>
> www.finkproject.org/download/srcdist.php
>
> After doing the following and entering the last command to install, my machine was still, apparently installing (at 100% CPU capacity) 24 hours later. I finally killed the install. Can you help me figure out what when wrong? I can't believe the install could possibly take that long, even on my old Core Duo.
>
> $ xcode-select -switch /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer
> $ sudo xcodebuild -license
> $ cd $HOME/Downloads
> # Downloaded the tar ball
> $ tar -xvf fink-0.34-4.tar.gz
> $ cd fink-0.34.4
> $ ./bootstrap
> $ /sw/bin/pathsetup.sh
> $ fink selfupdate-rsync
> $ fink index -f
> # This command was still running 24 hours later at full CPU capacity
> $ sudo fink install octave-atlas
>
> Thanks very much.
>
> Rich Shinn

Fink displays a lot info to keep the user informed as it is doing its work.  What was being displayed when you killed it?

Ben

Re: sudo fink install octave-atlas still running after 24 hours

Alexander Hansen-2
On 1/6/13 10:55 AM, Benjamin Abbott wrote:

> On Jan 6, 2013, at 10:21 AM, Richard Shinn <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I'm trying to install octave on Mountain Lion on an Intel Core 2 Duo MacBook Pro . I  followed the instructions on this page. web page:
>>
>> www.finkproject.org/download/srcdist.php
>>
>> After doing the following and entering the last command to install, my machine was still, apparently installing (at 100% CPU capacity) 24 hours later. I finally killed the install. Can you help me figure out what when wrong? I can't believe the install could possibly take that long, even on my old Core Duo.
>>
>> $ xcode-select -switch /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer
>> $ sudo xcodebuild -license
>> $ cd $HOME/Downloads
>> # Downloaded the tar ball
>> $ tar -xvf fink-0.34-4.tar.gz
>> $ cd fink-0.34.4
>> $ ./bootstrap
>> $ /sw/bin/pathsetup.sh
>> $ fink selfupdate-rsync
>> $ fink index -f
>> # This command was still running 24 hours later at full CPU capacity
>> $ sudo fink install octave-atlas
>>
>> Thanks very much.
>>
>> Rich Shinn
>
> Fink displays a lot info to keep the user informed as it is doing its work.  What was being displayed when you killed it?
>
> Ben

100% CPU capacity per CPU is the norm when building packages.  You can
reconfigure fink to use fewer CPUs, though this will slow down your builds.

And 24 hours is not unheard of to build Octave and all of its
dependencies.  GCC takes several hours on my not-so-old 4 core machine.
 ATLAS takes hours, too.

Basically, if the output that you see in the terminal keeps updating,
there should be no reason to suspect that anything is wrong.  When you
stop the build, that just means that you're going to have to start
whatever package was being built over again from the beginning--there is
no provision to resume builds.  Any other packages that were already
built are unaffected.
--
Alexander Hansen, Ph.D.
Fink User Liaison

On Jan 7, 2013, at 11:02 PM, Richard Shinn wrote:

> On Jan 6, 2013, at 9:55 AM, Benjamin Abbott <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On Jan 6, 2013, at 10:21 AM, Richard Shinn <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I'm trying to install octave on Mountain Lion on an Intel Core 2 Duo MacBook Pro . I  followed the instructions on this page. web page:
>>>
>>> www.finkproject.org/download/srcdist.php
>>>
>>> After doing the following and entering the last command to install, my machine was still, apparently installing (at 100% CPU capacity) 24 hours later. I finally killed the install. Can you help me figure out what when wrong? I can't believe the install could possibly take that long, even on my old Core Duo.
>>>
>>> $ xcode-select -switch /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer
>>> $ sudo xcodebuild -license
>>> $ cd $HOME/Downloads
>>> # Downloaded the tar ball
>>> $ tar -xvf fink-0.34-4.tar.gz
>>> $ cd fink-0.34.4
>>> $ ./bootstrap
>>> $ /sw/bin/pathsetup.sh
>>> $ fink selfupdate-rsync
>>> $ fink index -f
>>> # This command was still running 24 hours later at full CPU capacity
>>> $ sudo fink install octave-atlas
>>>
>>> Thanks very much.
>>>
>>> Rich Shinn
>>
>> Fink displays a lot info to keep the user informed as it is doing its work.  What was being displayed when you killed it?
>>
>> Ben
>
> Ben,
>
> I've attached a sample of the output. Just reams and reams of what looks to me like "typical" build output. It literally ran at 100% cpu capacity for well over 25 hours. Is it conceivable it could take that long? I'm thinking it got into some kind of loop in the build script that just kept trying to build it over and over again instead of erroring out properly.
>
> Thanks very much for any help you can provide. I'd very much like to get this working.
>
> Rich Shinn

I don't see anything unusual there.  I had a mac mini with a Intel Core 2 Duo, but it died last week.  So, I'm not able to check.

I recommend you try again.  What you showed me doesn't look to have gotten to Octave yet.  The good news is that many dependencies have probably already been built, so the build you terminated isn't a total waste.

Ben

On 1/7/13 9:13 PM, Ben Abbott wrote:

> On Jan 7, 2013, at 11:02 PM, Richard Shinn wrote:

>>> Fink displays a lot info to keep the user informed as it is doing its work.  What was being displayed when you killed it?
>>>
>>> Ben
>>
>> Ben,
>>
>> I've attached a sample of the output. Just reams and reams of what looks to me like "typical" build output. It literally ran at 100% cpu capacity for well over 25 hours. Is it conceivable it could take that long? I'm thinking it got into some kind of loop in the build script that just kept trying to build it over and over again instead of erroring out properly.
>>
>> Thanks very much for any help you can provide. I'd very much like to get this working.
>>
>> Rich Shinn
>
> I don't see anything unusual there.  I had a mac mini with a Intel Core 2 Duo, but it died last week.  So, I'm not able to check.
>
> I recommend you try again.  What you showed me doesn't look to have gotten to Octave yet.  The good news is that many dependencies have probably already been built, so the build you terminated isn't a total waste.
>
> Ben

We tend to use the same build operations that you'd use when building a
package by hand, and those essentially never involve a loop.  However,
gcc47 _can_ look like a loop is occurring, because it repeats operations
in multiple stages.  And it takes a long time to build.  atlas is
another package that can look "loopy" and also takes a while.  Even so,
the build failure mode for both packages is to error out rather than to
continue indefinitely.

As I said before, builds can take a long time, depending on your
hardware, and you really need only be concerned if the build sits on
_one_ line for an extended period of time since there are failure modes
where an operation can lock up and never error out.  If things are
scrolling up, then be patient because the build is proceeding along.
--
Alexander Hansen, Ph.D.
Fink User Liaison
My package updates: http://finkakh.wordpress.com/

Re: sudo fink install octave-atlas still running after 24 hours

Sergei Steshenko

> On Jan 7, 2013, at 11:02 PM, Richard Shinn wrote:
>>  On Jan 6, 2013, at 9:55 AM, Benjamin Abbott <[hidden email]> wrote:

> 2 Duo MacBook Pro . I  followed the instructions on this page. web page:

> my machine was still, apparently installing (at 100% CPU capacity) 24 hours
> later. I finally killed the install. Can you help me figure out what when wrong?
> I can't believe the install could possibly take that long, even on my old
> Core Duo.

> capacity

>>>  Fink displays a lot info to keep the user informed as it is doing its
> work.  What was being displayed when you killed it?
>>>
>>>  Ben
>>
>>  Ben,
>>
>>  I've attached a sample of the output. Just reams and reams of what
> looks to me like "typical" build output. It literally ran at 100% cpu
> capacity for well over 25 hours. Is it conceivable it could take that long?
> I'm thinking it got into some kind of loop in the build script that just
> kept trying to build it over and over again instead of erroring out properly.
>>
>>  Thanks very much for any help you can provide. I'd very much like to
> get this working.
>>
>>  Rich Shinn
>
> I don't see anything unusual there.  I had a mac mini with a Intel Core 2
> Duo, but it died last week.  So, I'm not able to check.
>
> I recommend you try again.  What you showed me doesn't look to have gotten
> to Octave yet.  The good news is that many dependencies have probably already
> been built, so the build you terminated isn't a total waste.
>
> Ben

Shouldn't there be some logs somewhere ?

Regards,
  Sergei.