symbolic 2.2.3 released

Carnë Draug
Hi everyone

a new release of the symbolic package [1] is out, version 2.2.3, by
Colin B. Macdonald.
A summary of important user-visible changes is also available online [2].

The Octave-Forge Symbolic package adds symbolic calculation
features to GNU Octave.  These include common Computer Algebra System tools
such as algebraic operations, calculus, equation solving, Fourier and Laplace
transforms, variable precision arithmetic and other features.  Internally,
the package uses [SymPy](www.sympy.org), but no knowledge of Python is
required.  Compatibility with other symbolic toolboxes is intended.

Enjoy Octave symbolically,
Carnë

[1] http://octave.sourceforge.net/symbolic/
[2] http://octave.sourceforge.net/symbolic/NEWS.html

Re: symbolic 2.2.3 released

karl
Am 27.11.2015 um 12:40 schrieb Carnë Draug:

> Hi everyone
>
> a new release of the symbolic package [1] is out, version 2.2.3, by
> Colin B. Macdonald.
> A summary of important user-visible changes is also available online [2].
>
> The Octave-Forge Symbolic package adds symbolic calculation
> features to GNU Octave.  These include common Computer Algebra System tools
> such as algebraic operations, calculus, equation solving, Fourier and Laplace
> transforms, variable precision arithmetic and other features.  Internally,
> the package uses [SymPy](www.sympy.org), but no knowledge of Python is
> required.  Compatibility with other symbolic toolboxes is intended.
>
> Enjoy Octave symbolically,
> Carnë
>
> [1] http://octave.sourceforge.net/symbolic/
> [2] http://octave.sourceforge.net/symbolic/NEWS.html

Thanks for the work and the new version!
  I have a question: is there a sort of tutorial/manual with some examples for the commands?

Thanks
Karl

Re: symbolic 2.2.3 released

Doug Stewart-4

On Fri, Nov 27, 2015 at 9:28 AM, karl <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

I put these there for you to play with.
If there are other commands that you want a demo for, just ask here and I will help you if i can!!!

DASCertificate for 206392

Re: symbolic 2.2.3 released

Doug Stewart-4

--
@Karl, was that helpful?

Please help us make the wiki better by giving us feed back.

DAS

--
DASCertificate for 206392

Re: symbolic 2.2.3 released

karl
Am 27.11.2015 um 18:37 schrieb Doug Stewart:

On Fri, Nov 27, 2015 at 11:31 AM, Doug Stewart <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Fri, Nov 27, 2015 at 11:07 AM, karl <[hidden email]> wrote:
Am 27.11.2015 um 16:37 schrieb Doug Stewart:

On Fri, Nov 27, 2015 at 10:24 AM, karl <[hidden email]> wrote:
Am 27.11.2015 um 16:13 schrieb Doug Stewart:

[...]

Doug, thanks, I knew this page already, but for many functions only the definition is given,  i.e. h = ezplot3 (f1, f2,f3). Here one has to try out how it works, a simple
one-line example to get it working and then to play around would be very helpful. Maybe some people can see it easily how to use these functions, but I often need an example to
get me going.

Thank you Karl.

when I type
help ezplot3   i see:

>> help ezplot3
'ezplot3' is a function from the file /usr/local/share/octave/4.1.0+/m/plot/draw/ezplot3.m

 -- Function File: ezplot3 (FX, FY, FZ)
 -- Function File: ezplot3 (..., DOM)
 -- Function File: ezplot3 (..., N)
 -- Function File: ezplot3 (HAX, ...)
 -- Function File: H = ezplot3 (...)

     Plot a parametrically defined curve in three dimensions.

     FX, FY, and FZ are strings, inline functions, or function handles
     with one argument defining the function.  By default the plot is
     over the domain '0 <= T <= 2*pi' with 500 points.

     If DOM is a two element vector, it represents the minimum and
     maximum values of T.

     N is a scalar defining the number of points to use in plotting the
     function.

     If the first argument HAX is an axes handle, then plot into this
     axis, rather than the current axes returned by 'gca'.

     The optional return value H is a graphics handle to the created
     plot.

          fx = @(t) cos (t);
          fy = @(t) sin (t);
          fz = @(t) t;
          ezplot3 (fx, fy, fz, [0, 10*pi], 100);

     See also: plot3, ezplot, ezmesh, ezsurf.

Additional help for built-in functions and operators is
available in the online version of the manual.  Use the command
'doc <topic>' to search the manual index.

Help and information about Octave is also available on the WWW
mailing list.

--

Do you not see this???

DAS

I see this but I don't see the connection  with symbolic. There is the reference to non-symbolic ezplot3 where I see this
example with no symbolic functions.

OK I get your point!
I will make a demo. probable take me 2-3hrs  as i am doing other things also.

Here is a simple demo   I hope it helps.
There are other ways to do this  --- this is just one try.

syms   t
t=.1:.01:5;
x=function_handle(sym("t**2"))
y=function_handle(sym("t/0.33"))
z=function_handle(sym("cos(t) +sin(t)*cos(t) +t"))
ezplot3(x,y,z)

--
DAS

--
DASCertificate for 206392

Yes, thanks, that helps!

Re: symbolic 2.2.3 released

Doug Stewart-4

On Fri, Nov 27, 2015 at 9:37 AM, Doug Stewart <[hidden email][hidden email]> wrote:

On Fri, Nov 27, 2015 at 9:28 AM, karl <[hidden email][hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

'doc <topic>' to search the manual index.

Help and information about Octave is also available on the WWW
mailing list.

--

Do you not see this???

DAS

I see this but I don't see the connection  with symbolic. There is the reference to non-symbolic ezplot3 where I see this
example with no symbolic functions.

OK I get your point!
I will make a demo. probable take me 2-3hrs  as i am doing other things also.

Here is a simple demo   I hope it helps.
There are other ways to do this  --- this is just one try.

syms   t
t=.1:.01:5;
x=function_handle(sym("t**2"))
y=function_handle(sym("t/0.33"))
z=function_handle(sym("cos(t) +sin(t)*cos(t) +t"))

Great!     I will try and add it to the help message.

--
DAS

Re: symbolic 2.2.3 released

Doug Stewart-4

On Sat, Nov 28, 2015 at 2:23 AM, Doug Stewart <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

This example that I made is actually very bad!!!

This is much better

syms   t
x=t**2
y=t
z=cos(t)**2 +sin(t)*cos(t) +t/100
ezplot3(x,y,z,[0 10],55)

the term  [0 10]   is the range that is used for t
and the 55 is the number of points to make in that range.

--
DAS