symbolic package problem

mathkida
Hi,
I am using octave 5.2 on Debian Buster. I installed symbolic package using command "pkg install -Forge symbolic".
After the installation, I loaded the package symbolic. When trying an example for intgration,
I get following error:

syms x
Symbolic pkg v2.9.0: Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<string>", line 1, in <module>
ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'sympy'
error: Python cannot import SymPy: have you installed SymPy?
    Try "sympref diagnose" for more information.
error: called from
    assert_have_python_and_sympy at line 123 column 7
    python_ipc_popen2 at line 79 column 5
    python_ipc_driver at line 62 column 15
    pycall_sympy__ at line 163 column 11
    valid_sym_assumptions at line 38 column 10
    assumptions at line 82 column 7
    syms at line 97 column 13

Please guide. Thanks.
--mathkida

Re: symbolic package problem

nrjank
Administrator
On Sat, Jun 20, 2020 at 10:20 AM Prasad Mehendale <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

did you follow the prompts it gave you?

have you installed SymPy?

what output did "sympref diagnose" give you?

Re: symbolic package problem

mathkida
On Sat, 20 Jun 2020 14:57:09 -0400
Nicholas Jankowski <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sat, Jun 20, 2020 at 10:20 AM Prasad Mehendale <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> > I am using octave 5.2 on Debian Buster. I installed symbolic package using
> > command "pkg install -Forge symbolic".
> > After the installation, I loaded the package symbolic. When trying an
> > example for intgration,
> > I get following error:
> >
> > syms x
> > Symbolic pkg v2.9.0: Traceback (most recent call last):
> >   File "<string>", line 1, in <module>
> > ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'sympy'
> > error: Python cannot import SymPy: have you installed SymPy?
> >     Try "sympref diagnose" for more information.
> > error: called from
> >     assert_have_python_and_sympy at line 123 column 7
> >     python_ipc_popen2 at line 79 column 5
> >     python_ipc_driver at line 62 column 15
> >     pycall_sympy__ at line 163 column 11
> >     valid_sym_assumptions at line 38 column 10
> >     assumptions at line 82 column 7
> >     syms at line 97 column 13
> >
> > Please guide. Thanks.
> > --mathkida
> >

> did you follow the prompts it gave you?
>
> have you installed SymPy?
>
> what output did "sympref diagnose" give you?

After I saw the output of "sympref diagnose", I could find that the sympy I installed was for Python 2.x. When I installed sympy for Python3.7, It solved my problem.
Thanks for your guidance.
The problem is solved
--mk