toascii() function missing

Jorge Gustavo Rocha
Hi,

I just noticed that toascii() function is missing. I'm running Octave
6.2.0 on Ubuntu.

toascii() is cited in the documentation, at:
https://octave.sourceforge.io/octave/function/toascii.html

I've saw a previous message on octave-maintainers suggesting that this
function could be deprecated:
https://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/Any-need-for-toascii-td4686354.html

My question is: has this function been deprecated?

I'm currently using int8 as a replacement.

Regards,

J. Gustavo
--
Jorge Gustavo Rocha
Departamento de Informática

Re: toascii() function missing

nrjank
Administrator

I've saw a previous message on octave-maintainers suggesting that this
function could be deprecated:
https://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/Any-need-for-toascii-td4686354.html

My question is: has this function been deprecated?

According to the release notes for v4.4 toascii was deprecated for removal in Octave v6

Re: toascii() function missing

Pantxo
Jorge Gustavo Rocha wrote
> Hi,
>
> I just noticed that toascii() function is missing. I'm running Octave
> 6.2.0 on Ubuntu.
>
> toascii() is cited in the documentation, at:
> https://octave.sourceforge.io/octave/function/toascii.html

This page is outdated, it is a known issue that shows reference for Octave
4.4.

In octave 6, just type "news" and you'll see that "toascii" has been removed
and should be replaced by "double".

HTH,

Pantxo

Re: toascii() function missing

siko1056
On 3/22/21 10:12 PM, Nicholas Jankowski wrote:

>     I've saw a previous message on octave-maintainers suggesting that this
>     function could be deprecated:
>     https://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/Any-need-for-toascii-td4686354.html
>
>     My question is: has this function been deprecated?
>

> According to the release notes for v4.4 toascii was deprecated for
> removal in Octave v6
>
> https://www.gnu.org/software/octave/NEWS-4.4.html#deprecated-functions-and-properties

I added a note to https://octave.sourceforge.io/docs.php, as with the
years both documentations diverge too much and cause confusion.

Kai

Re: toascii() function missing

Jorge Gustavo Rocha
Hi Kai,

You added several thinks: the warning about the deprecated
documentation, the pointer to the newer version and also the link to the
issue that prevents that documentation for being update.

Thank you!

Regards,

Jorge

Às 04:25 de 23/03/21, Kai Torben Ohlhus escreveu:

> On 3/22/21 10:12 PM, Nicholas Jankowski wrote:
>>

>>     I've saw a previous message on octave-maintainers suggesting that
>> this
>>     function could be deprecated:
>>
>> https://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/Any-need-for-toascii-td4686354.html
>>
>>     My question is: has this function been deprecated?
>>

>> According to the release notes for v4.4 toascii was deprecated for
>> removal in Octave v6
>>
>> https://www.gnu.org/software/octave/NEWS-4.4.html#deprecated-functions-and-properties
>>

> I added a note to https://octave.sourceforge.io/docs.php, as with the
> years both documentations diverge too much and cause confusion.
>
> Kai

J. Gustavo
--
Jorge Gustavo Rocha
Departamento de Informática
Universidade do Minho
4710-057 Braga
Gabinete 3.29 (Piso 3)
Tel: +351 253604480
Fax: +351 253604471
Móvel: +351 910333888
skype: nabocudnosor

Re: toascii() function missing

Jorge Gustavo Rocha
Thank you Nicholas,

I was looking in the wrong place. Thank you for the pointer.

As a personal interpretation, I wouldn't suggest double() as a
replacement of toascii(). Character codes aren't double values. I would
prefer int8() or int16().

Regards,

Gustavo

Às 13:12 de 22/03/21, Nicholas Jankowski escreveu:

>     I've saw a previous message on octave-maintainers suggesting that this
>     function could be deprecated:
>     https://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/Any-need-for-toascii-td4686354.html
>     <https://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/Any-need-for-toascii-td4686354.html>
>
>     My question is: has this function been deprecated?
>

> According to the release notes for v4.4 toascii was deprecated for
> removal in Octave v6
>
> https://www.gnu.org/software/octave/NEWS-4.4.html#deprecated-functions-and-properties
> <https://www.gnu.org/software/octave/NEWS-4.4.html#deprecated-functions-and-properties>

J. Gustavo
--
Jorge Gustavo Rocha
Departamento de Informática
Universidade do Minho
4710-057 Braga
Gabinete 3.29 (Piso 3)
Tel: +351 253604480
Fax: +351 253604471
Móvel: +351 910333888
skype: nabocudnosor

Re: toascii() function missing

mmuetzel
Am 23. März 2021 um 10:15 Uhr schrieb "Markus Mützel":

> Am 23. März 2021 um 10:05 Uhr schrieb "Jorge Gustavo Rocha":
> > Thank you Nicholas,
> >
> > I was looking in the wrong place. Thank you for the pointer.
> >
> > As a personal interpretation, I wouldn't suggest double() as a
> > replacement of toascii(). Character codes aren't double values. I would
> > prefer int8() or int16().
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Gustavo
>
> The function "toascii" returned double values. Replacing it with the functions you suggested might lead to different results. Replacing it with "double" assures that the result of subsequent calculations remains the same.
>
> Markus

Forgot to CC the mailing list.