unable to show or get editor pane in octave gui (qt)

12

unable to show or get editor pane in octave gui (qt)

sherin
I am new to octave gui. I installed octave using homebrew and looks it it
works fine on cli. I want to edit some .m files in using built-in editor and
like to pull editor pane at the bottom of the window together with command
window but could not succeed. Please help.

<https://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/file/t373863/Screenshot_2020-09-14_at_4.png>

Re: unable to show or get editor pane in octave gui (qt)

nrjank
Administrator
On Mon, Sep 14, 2020 at 10:11 AM sherin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I am new to octave gui. I installed octave using homebrew and looks it it
> works fine on cli. I want to edit some .m files in using built-in editor and
> like to pull editor pane at the bottom of the window together with command
> window but could not succeed. Please help.
>
> <https://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/file/t373863/Screenshot_2020-09-14_at_4.png>

from your screenshot it looks like you're trying to use 'load' to open
the file for editing?  use "edit"  unstead.  Just typing edit should
launch the edit window if it's not already open.  "edit <filename>"
should open that file for editing.

whether or not teh editor is anchored to the gui or free floating
depends on the current window settings. At least in the Windows
version, one of the tabs in the main window would be Editor (you show
only Command Window, Documentation, and Variable Editor).  When you
use the edit command, you may find that the window appears either
docked in the GUI or free floating as a separate window.  If docked,
when visible there should be an Undock Widget button at the upper
right corner of the Editor pane.

You can always try the menu option Window / Reset Default Window
Layout.  this should put the editor back as a tab with the Command
Window, etc., after which you can move it around however you wish.

Re: unable to show or get editor pane in octave gui (qt)

sherin
Thank you admin for your detailed response. I tried your solution but still
could not open file nor get the editor tab.

<https://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/file/t373863/Screenshot_2020-09-14_at_9.png>

Re: unable to show or get editor pane in octave gui (qt)

sherin
The above image is my default window layout. There is no editor tab.

Re: unable to show or get editor pane in octave gui (qt)

sherin

On Mon, Sep 14, 2020 at 11:56 AM sherin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The above image is my default window layout. There is no editor tab.

Ok, so it seems it thinks the Editor is being displayed somewhere.  Again, on Windows we've sometimes had the problem where it was 'located' off of the visible screen area. I know ways to try to fix that on Windows, but someone else will have to offer suggestions for your platform.

Does nothing happen with the 'Reset Default Window Layout' command at the bottom of that menu? that should doc the editor back into the main GUI window.

Attached is the menu as i see it in the Windows version.

image.png

Re: unable to show or get editor pane in octave gui (qt)

nrjank
On Mon, Sep 14, 2020 at 12:08 PM sherin <[hidden email]> wrote:
My show editor option is also ticked in window menu.
<https://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/file/t373863/Screenshot_2020-09-14_at_9.png>

yes, that means octave thinks the window is being displayed somewhere.  Do you have a "Reset Default Window Layout" option at the bottom of that menu, and if so what happens when you select it?  Does Editor appear in the tabs next to Command Window?

If not, does anything happen when you untick and re-tick the Show Editor option?

Re: unable to show or get editor pane in octave gui (qt)

sherin
Yes, i have the reset option but default layout has no editor. Tick and
un-tick on editor has no changes to the gui layout.

Re: [Possible SPAM] Re: unable to show or get editor pane in octave gui (qt)

nrjank

On Mon, Sep 14, 2020 at 12:20 PM Tshering Lhamo <[hidden email]> wrote:
Yes, I have reset option in window menu but default layout has no editor. When I tick or un-tick it has no change to layout.

ok, please keep the help list copied.  Since I'm not familiar enough with your operating system I'm not sure how else to find the missing window or reset it's location.  I thought the Reset menu option would fix that.  Someone else on the help list familiar with your platform will hopefully have better suggestions.

Re: [Possible SPAM] Re: unable to show or get editor pane in octave gui (qt)

nrjank
Administrator
On Mon, Sep 14, 2020 at 12:20 PM Tshering Lhamo <[hidden email]> wrote:
Yes, I have reset option in window menu but default layout has no editor. When I tick or un-tick it has no change to layout.

ok, please keep the help list copied.  Since I'm not familiar enough with your operating system I'm not sure how else to find the missing window or reset it's location.  I thought the Reset menu option would fix that.  Someone else on the help list familiar with your platform will hopefully have better suggestions.

assuming the window is somewhere off screen, would any of the options suggested at the page below help you locate it?

Re: [Possible SPAM] Re: unable to show or get editor pane in octave gui (qt)

sherin

Re: [Possible SPAM] Re: unable to show or get editor pane in octave gui (qt)

sherin

Re: [Possible SPAM] Re: unable to show or get editor pane in octave gui (qt)

Torsten Lilge-2
On Mon, 2020-09-14 at 12:18 -0500, sherin wrote:
> No, it doesnt help.

Is the editor really included in your build, i.e. was qscintilla
available during your build was compiled?

Torsten

Re: [Possible SPAM] Re: unable to show or get editor pane in octave gui (qt)

sherin
How should i check for qscinltilla? Sorry, i have no idea about it.

Re: unable to show or get editor pane in octave gui (qt)

siko1056
On 9/15/20 3:21 AM, sherin wrote:
> How should i check for qscinltilla? Sorry, i have no idea about it.

Sorry, this was a rather technical request 😇

You can check for qscintilla (some library used to give GNU Octave an
builtin editor) support by typing into your command window:

   >> __octave_config_info__ ("QSCINTILLA")
   ans = 1

If "ans = 0" appears, then your Octave was built without the editor, and
there is nothing you can do to make the editor appear magically.

On a macOS system I tested the latest Octave 5.2.0 from Homebrew and I
obtained "ans = 0".  Thus I am afraid you cannot make use of the builtin
Octave editor now.

The issue is reported

https://github.com/Homebrew/homebrew-core/issues/61141

HTH,
Kai

On 9/15/20 1:37 PM, Kai Torben Ohlhus wrote:

> On 9/15/20 3:21 AM, sherin wrote:
>> How should i check for qscinltilla? Sorry, i have no idea about it.
>>

> Sorry, this was a rather technical request 😇
>
> You can check for qscintilla (some library used to give GNU Octave an
> builtin editor) support by typing into your command window:
>
>    >> __octave_config_info__ ("QSCINTILLA")
>    ans = 1
>
> If "ans = 0" appears, then your Octave was built without the editor, and
> there is nothing you can do to make the editor appear magically.
>
> On a macOS system I tested the latest Octave 5.2.0 from Homebrew and I
> obtained "ans = 0".  Thus I am afraid you cannot make use of the builtin
> Octave editor now.
>
> The issue is reported
>
> https://github.com/Homebrew/homebrew-core/issues/61141
>
> HTH,
> Kai

The Homebrew developers are super fast. 🙂

If you run

   brew update
   brew upgrade

you should get "octave 5.2.0_10", which contains the builtin Octave editor.

HTH,
Kai

Re: unable to show or get editor pane in octave gui (qt)

sherin
Thank you for your help. It got it.

On Thu, Sep 17, 2020, 1:51 AM sherin <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thank you for your help. It got it.

Glad it worked out. Sorry for leading you down the wrong path for a while.

Kai, seems to me part of the confusion was the fact that the GUI still indicated the presence of the editor even though it wasn't available. I'm not familiar with what's under the hood with the GUI, but is it conceivable that it could be made to not show a toggle-able display option if its not there? Either not listed or grayed out or something?

Re: unable to show or get editor pane in octave gui (qt)

Torsten Lilge
On Thu, 2020-09-17 at 09:30 -0400, Nicholas Jankowski wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 17, 2020, 1:51 AM sherin <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> > Thank you for your help. It got it.
>

> Glad it worked out. Sorry for leading you down the wrong path for a
> while.
>
> Kai, seems to me part of the confusion was the fact that the GUI still
> indicated the presence of the editor even though it wasn't available.
> I'm not familiar with what's under the hood with the GUI, but is it
> conceivable that it could be made to not show a toggle-able display
> option if its not there? Either not listed or grayed out or
> something?

This issue was already popping up some time ago and was fixed with cset
http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/octave/rev/922c47ff5218

Torsten

On Thu, Sep 17, 2020, 10:45 PM Torsten Lilge <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Thu, 2020-09-17 at 09:30 -0400, Nicholas Jankowski wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 17, 2020, 1:51 AM sherin <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> > Thank you for your help. It got it.
>

> Glad it worked out. Sorry for leading you down the wrong path for a
> while.
>
> Kai, seems to me part of the confusion was the fact that the GUI still
> indicated the presence of the editor even though it wasn't available.
> I'm not familiar with what's under the hood with the GUI, but is it
> conceivable that it could be made to not show a toggle-able display
> option if its not there? Either not listed or grayed out or
> something?

This issue was already popping up some time ago and was fixed with cset
http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/octave/rev/922c47ff5218

Torsten

Agree to Torsten. In general there was no indication for an existing built-in editor. The gray out in the top window menu looks not good on macOS. Maybe this is why there was hope to open the editor even it not existed?!

Kai

12