update on availability of gui widgets within Octave script?

update on availability of gui widgets within Octave script?

rmales
I have been looking over the list and documentation to see about the availability of UI widgets from within a script, for example to develop a form for user entry of data.   I see that there is an open/save dialog, progress bar, but not sure about others.   Other than that, it seems to be of interest but not implemented as yet.

I would much appreciate it if the list could provide me with some ideas as to what the current best available approach for developing scripts with better UI capability is.

My environment is Win 8.1, using the experimental Win 8 Octave 3.8 GUI (which runs quite successfully).

Thanks in advance.

Dick Males
Cincinnati, OH USA

Re: update on availability of gui widgets within Octave script?

Philip Nienhuis
rmales wrote
I have been looking over the list and documentation to see about the availability of UI widgets from within a script, for example to develop a form for user entry of data.   I see that there is an open/save dialog, progress bar, but not sure about others.   Other than that, it seems to be of interest but not implemented as yet.

I would much appreciate it if the list could provide me with some ideas as to what the current best available approach for developing scripts with better UI capability is.
Look in the <octave_install_dir>/share/octave/<octave_version>/m/gui subdir.

Philip

Re: update on availability of gui widgets within Octave script?

Helios de Rosario
>>> El día 17/09/2014 a las 16:26, rmales <[hidden email]> escribió:
> I have been looking over the list and documentation to see about the
> availability of UI widgets from within a script, for example to
develop a
> form for user entry of data.   I see that there is an open/save
dialog,
> progress bar, but not sure about others.   Other than that, it seems
to be
> of interest but not implemented as yet.
>
> I would much appreciate it if the list could provide me with some
ideas as
> to what the current best available approach for developing scripts
with
> better UI capability is.
>
> My environment is Win 8.1, using the experimental Win 8 Octave 3.8
GUI
> (which runs quite successfully).

Dear Dick:

A similar question was raised last year in this list. This was my
answer:
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-octave/2013-10/msg00244.html

If the version that you are using is the MXE build by Markus Bergholz,
(http://mxeoctave.osuv.de), that won't work, because the qt toolkit is
not available there, as far as I have tried.

But it is available, and I used it successfully, with Octave 3.6.1 for
Windows MS Visual Studio
(http://sourceforge.net/projects/octave/files/Octave%20Windows%20binaries/Octave%203.6.1%20for%20Windows%20Microsoft%20Visual%20Studio/).

If you want to use that version, take into account that it is an older
version, previous to the official release of the GUI, and that it needs
the MS Visual Studio runtime libraries (available with no charge, but
not really "free").

Best regards
Helios

SABEMOS QUÉ HICIMOS EN 2013
365 días de Innovación
ANUARIO DE BIOMECÁNICA
http://www.ibv.org/anuario2013
______________________________

INSTITUTO DE BIOMECÁNICA DE VALENCIA
Universidad Politécnica de Valencia • Edificio 9C
Camino de Vera s/n • 46022 VALENCIA (ESPAÑA)
Tel. +34 96 387 91 60 • Fax +34 96 387 91 69
www.ibv.org

Antes de imprimir este e-mail piense bien si es necesario hacerlo.
En cumplimiento de la Ley Orgánica 15/1999 reguladora de la Protección
de Datos de Carácter Personal, le informamos de que el presente mensaje
contiene información confidencial, siendo para uso exclusivo del
destinatario arriba indicado. En caso de no ser usted el destinatario
del mismo le informamos que su recepción no le autoriza a su divulgación
o reproducción por cualquier medio, debiendo destruirlo de inmediato,
rogándole lo notifique al remitente.

Re: update on availability of gui widgets within Octave script?

rmales
Helios:

I am using the MXE build by Markus Bergholz, and the suggestion of Philip Nienhuis works perfectly (at least the one widget I tested).

Thanks.

Dick

Re: update on availability of gui widgets within Octave script?

Helios de Rosario
>>> El día 18/09/2014 a las 15:37, rmales <[hidden email]> escribió:
> Helios:
>
> I am using the MXE build by Markus Bergholz, and the suggestion of
Philip
> Nienhuis works perfectly (at least the one widget I tested).

Good to know. What widget have you used? Have you also succeeded in
adding an 'uicontrol' in a figure?

Helios

SABEMOS QUÉ HICIMOS EN 2013
365 días de Innovación
ANUARIO DE BIOMECÁNICA
http://www.ibv.org/anuario2013
______________________________

INSTITUTO DE BIOMECÁNICA DE VALENCIA
Universidad Politécnica de Valencia • Edificio 9C
Camino de Vera s/n • 46022 VALENCIA (ESPAÑA)
Tel. +34 961111170- +34 610567200 • Fax +34 96 387 91 69
www.ibv.org

Antes de imprimir este e-mail piense bien si es necesario hacerlo.
En cumplimiento de la Ley Orgánica 15/1999 reguladora de la Protección
de Datos de Carácter Personal, le informamos de que el presente mensaje
contiene información confidencial, siendo para uso exclusivo del
destinatario arriba indicado. En caso de no ser usted el destinatario
del mismo le informamos que su recepción no le autoriza a su divulgación
o reproducción por cualquier medio, debiendo destruirlo de inmediato,
rogándole lo notifique al remitente.

Re: update on availability of gui widgets within Octave script?

rmales
just inputdlg for now.   based on the demo in the inputdlg.m found (on my machine) at C:\Octave\Octave-3.8.2\share\octave\3.8.2\m\gui

have not used uicontrol

Dick