[very important -- all developers] reclone Octave-Forge

[very important -- all developers] reclone Octave-Forge

Carnë Draug-2
Hi everyone

with the upgrade in sourceforge the location for the repository
changed so you should make a new checkout. See message below from
sourceforge.

Carnë

Re: [very important -- all developers] reclone Octave-Forge

Juan Pablo Carbajal
On Sun, Sep 23, 2012 at 12:08 PM, Carnë Draug <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi everyone
>
> with the upgrade in sourceforge the location for the repository
> changed so you should make a new checkout. See message below from
> sourceforge.
>
> Carnë

You can get your own checkout command by going to your account -->
projects --> Octave Forge --> Code

However, what credentials should we use? My sourceforge credentials
are not working for the checkout.

--
M. Sc. Juan Pablo Carbajal
-----

Re: [very important -- all developers] reclone Octave-Forge

c.-2

On 23 Sep 2012, at 12:47, Juan Pablo Carbajal wrote:

> You can get your own checkout command by going to your account -->
> projects --> Octave Forge --> Code
>
> However, what credentials should we use? My sourceforge credentials
> are not working for the checkout.

Is anonymous checkput still possible?
c.

On 23 September 2012 13:06, c. <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On 23 Sep 2012, at 12:47, Juan Pablo Carbajal wrote:
>
>> You can get your own checkout command by going to your account -->
>> projects --> Octave Forge --> Code
>>
>> However, what credentials should we use? My sourceforge credentials
>> are not working for the checkout.
>>
> Is anonymous checkput still possible?

Should be. On https://sourceforge.net/p/octave/code/ there's 3 buttons
(RW/RO/HTTP). I imagine it means read+write and read only (through
SSH) and http (that's the previous method). I'm also asked for a
password when using the SSH methods and my SF password is not being
accepted. As I never gave SF my public keys it can't be those either.
But checking out through HTTPS is working fine.

Carnë

On Sun, Sep 23, 2012 at 1:54 PM, Carnë Draug <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 23 September 2012 13:06, c. <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On 23 Sep 2012, at 12:47, Juan Pablo Carbajal wrote:
>>
>>> You can get your own checkout command by going to your account -->
>>> projects --> Octave Forge --> Code
>>>
>>> However, what credentials should we use? My sourceforge credentials
>>> are not working for the checkout.
>>>
>> Is anonymous checkput still possible?
>
> Should be. On https://sourceforge.net/p/octave/code/ there's 3 buttons
> (RW/RO/HTTP). I imagine it means read+write and read only (through
> SSH) and http (that's the previous method). I'm also asked for a
> password when using the SSH methods and my SF password is not being
> accepted. As I never gave SF my public keys it can't be those either.
> But checking out through HTTPS is working fine.
>
> Carnë

Works with HTTP! We should then recommend checking out with the HTTP option.

@Carnë: If you need help updatign the text in the website let me know,
we should use this opportunity to put it up to date.

Cheers

--
M. Sc. Juan Pablo Carbajal
-----
PhD Student
University of Zürich
http://ailab.ifi.uzh.ch/carbajal/

Re: [very important -- all developers] reclone Octave-Forge

Mike Miller
On Sun, Sep 23, 2012 at 8:47 AM, Juan Pablo Carbajal
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sun, Sep 23, 2012 at 1:54 PM, Carnë Draug <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> Is anonymous checkput still possible?
>>
>> Should be. On https://sourceforge.net/p/octave/code/ there's 3 buttons
>> (RW/RO/HTTP). I imagine it means read+write and read only (through
>> SSH) and http (that's the previous method). I'm also asked for a
>> password when using the SSH methods and my SF password is not being
>> accepted. As I never gave SF my public keys it can't be those either.
>> But checking out through HTTPS is working fine.
>>
>> Carnë
>
> Works with HTTP! We should then recommend checking out with the HTTP option.
>
> @Carnë: If you need help updatign the text in the website let me know,
> we should use this opportunity to put it up to date.

All,

SSH is working for me, you can add one or more SSH keys to your SF
account at https://sourceforge.net/account/ssh and then it should
work.

On 23 September 2012 14:47, Juan Pablo Carbajal <[hidden email]> wrote:
> @Carnë: If you need help updatign the text in the website let me know,
> we should use this opportunity to put it up to date.

I was more of a midndset to move the instructions to the wiki...
Should make it easier to change in the future.

Carnë

On Mon, Sep 24, 2012 at 8:54 AM, Carnë Draug <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On 23 September 2012 14:47, Juan Pablo Carbajal <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> @Carnë: If you need help updatign the text in the website let me know,
>> we should use this opportunity to put it up to date.
>
> I was more of a midndset to move the instructions to the wiki...
> Should make it easier to change in the future.
>
> Carnë

Sounds great, will also help in the transition to Agora.
Ok, can you take the lead and create the corresponding pages so we can
stat updating the content?

When the process is over, I guess you will empty this page
http://octave.sourceforge.net/developers.html

and just live a nice link to the wiki, right?

--
M. Sc. Juan Pablo Carbajal
-----

On 24 Sep 2012, at 09:23, Juan Pablo Carbajal wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 24, 2012 at 8:54 AM, Carnë Draug <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On 23 September 2012 14:47, Juan Pablo Carbajal <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> @Carnë: If you need help updatign the text in the website let me know,
>>> we should use this opportunity to put it up to date.
>>
>> I was more of a midndset to move the instructions to the wiki...
>> Should make it easier to change in the future.
>>
>> Carnë
>
> Sounds great, will also help in the transition to Agora.
> Ok, can you take the lead and create the corresponding pages so we can
> stat updating the content?
>
> When the process is over, I guess you will empty this page
> http://octave.sourceforge.net/developers.html
>
> and just live a nice link to the wiki, right?

I'd be careful with such changes, the autogenerated files for package documentation have hardcoded links to various pages on the Octave-Forge website,
if you start moving things around those links will be broken and ALL packages will have to be generated again.
c.

On Mon, Sep 24, 2012 at 9:48 AM, c. <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 24 Sep 2012, at 09:23, Juan Pablo Carbajal wrote:

>>> I was more of a midndset to move the instructions to the wiki...
>>> Should make it easier to change in the future.
>>>
>>> Carnë
>>
>> Sounds great, will also help in the transition to Agora.
>> Ok, can you take the lead and create the corresponding pages so we can
>> stat updating the content?
>>
>> When the process is over, I guess you will empty this page
>> http://octave.sourceforge.net/developers.html
>>
>> and just live a nice link to the wiki, right?
>
> I'd be careful with such changes, the autogenerated files for package documentation have hardcoded links to various pages on the Octave-Forge website,
> if you start moving things around those links will be broken and ALL packages will have to be generated again.
> c.

Which if itself is not a bad idea! releasePKG is working fine, we can
make a script to generate the html of all packages.

--
M. Sc. Juan Pablo Carbajal
-----

On 24 Sep 2012, at 09:58, Juan Pablo Carbajal wrote:

> Which if itself is not a bad idea! releasePKG is working fine, we can
> make a script to generate the html of all packages.

No, we do not want that. that's like the old monolithic build process,
sounded like a good idea in the beginning, proved to be __BAD__™ in the end.
Been there already, we don't want to go there again.

c.

On Mon, Sep 24, 2012 at 10:21 AM, c. <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 24 Sep 2012, at 09:58, Juan Pablo Carbajal wrote:
>
>> Which if itself is not a bad idea! releasePKG is working fine, we can
>> make a script to generate the html of all packages.
>
> No, we do not want that. that's like the old monolithic build process,
> sounded like a good idea in the beginning, proved to be __BAD__™ in the end.
> Been there already, we don't want to go there again.
>
> c.

I mean it as a one-shot thing, not as a standard procedure.

Also, detecting where are the hardlinks (and getting rid of them when
possible) is also good. However it can create insurmountable delays.

--
M. Sc. Juan Pablo Carbajal
-----

On 24 Sep 2012, at 10:44, Juan Pablo Carbajal wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 24, 2012 at 10:21 AM, c. <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> On 24 Sep 2012, at 09:58, Juan Pablo Carbajal wrote:
>>
>>> Which if itself is not a bad idea! releasePKG is working fine, we can
>>> make a script to generate the html of all packages.
>>
>> No, we do not want that. that's like the old monolithic build process,
>> sounded like a good idea in the beginning, proved to be __BAD__™ in the end.
>> Been there already, we don't want to go there again.
>>
>> c.
>>

> I mean it as a one-shot thing, not as a standard procedure.
>
> Also, detecting where are the hardlinks (and getting rid of them when
> possible) is also good. However it can create insurmountable delays.

as a one-timer it's of course OK, but I do expect lots of problems.
c.

On 23 September 2012 12:08, Carnë Draug <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi everyone
>
> with the upgrade in sourceforge the location for the repository
> changed so you should make a new checkout. See message below from
> sourceforge.
>
> Carnë

I just noticed that it's still possible to commit to the old
repository. There's two repositories and this is not git or mercurial.
Both me and Andrius Sutas made a commit to the old one after the
"split".

Please everyone, make a fresh clone and forget the old one. Sorry for
the trouble this may have caused.

Carnë

Re: [very important -- all developers] reclone Octave-Forge

Paul Dreik-2
Maybe it is good to rename the trunk _trunk or something (for the old
repository), so people commiting to the wrong repository notice the
difference. Unfortunately one then notices the change at a late stage,
but that is better than committing and not knowing it was for a dead end
repository.

Paul

On 24 September 2012 18:12, Paul Dreik <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Maybe it is good to rename the trunk _trunk or something (for the old
> repository), so people commiting to the wrong repository notice the
> difference. Unfortunately one then notices the change at a late stage,
> but that is better than committing and not knowing it was for a dead end
> repository.
>
> Paul

I'd settle for just removing the damn thing...

Carnë

On 24 September 2012 20:45, Carnë Draug <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On 24 September 2012 18:12, Paul Dreik <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Maybe it is good to rename the trunk _trunk or something (for the old
>> repository), so people commiting to the wrong repository notice the
>> difference. Unfortunately one then notices the change at a late stage,
>> but that is better than committing and not knowing it was for a dead end
>> repository.
>
> I'd settle for just removing the damn thing...

I finnally got instructions to do it. If someone has problems with the
repo let me know... maybe I did something I shouldn't had.

Carnë