who uses Octave?

Jaroslav Hajek-2
hi all,

for an application to a certain research project, I've been asked
about existing commercial usage of Octave.
If you want to help me and you use Octave 3.2.x+ for commercial
purposes, please notify me. I have no strict definition of
"commercial" given,
so I suppose anything outside publicly funded research and classroom
use qualifies.

If you want to help, please send me a public contact info (i.e. no
private mail address, because I can't guarantee what will happen with
the contact data), along with a brief
(several words) description of what you use Octave for.

It is unlikely, but you might be independently asked for verification,
so please don't deny it afterwards.

ps. I need it soon, though "soon" is also left a little vague here.

thanks a lot

--
RNDr. Jaroslav Hajek, PhD
computing expert & GNU Octave developer

Re: who uses Octave?

W J KREAMER
My hobbies include electronics, computers and mathematics, all of which have a use for Octave. Consider me an enthusiast.

> for an application to a certain research project, I've been
> asked
> about existing commercial usage of Octave.
> If you want to help me and you use Octave 3.2.x+ for
> commercial
> purposes, please notify me. I have no strict definition of
> "commercial" given,
> so I suppose anything outside publicly funded research and
> classroom
> use qualifies.

Re: who uses Octave?

AlbFrigerio
Despite of some university courses, I use Octave for time series analysis and prediction and for function maxi/minimization. Consider me as an entushiast too.

  Alberto

> My hobbies include electronics, computers and mathematics, all
> of which have a use for Octave. Consider me an enthusiast.

Re: who uses Octave?

Matt Taylor-8
I use Octave mostly for analyzing vibration data from construction
equipment testing.

Matt Taylor

Asphalt Zipper, Inc.
asphaltzipper.com

Jaroslav Hajek wrote:

> hi all,
>
> for an application to a certain research project, I've been asked
> about existing commercial usage of Octave.
> If you want to help me and you use Octave 3.2.x+ for commercial
> purposes, please notify me. I have no strict definition of
> "commercial" given,
> so I suppose anything outside publicly funded research and classroom
> use qualifies.
>
> If you want to help, please send me a public contact info (i.e. no
> private mail address, because I can't guarantee what will happen with
> the contact data), along with a brief
> (several words) description of what you use Octave for.
>
> It is unlikely, but you might be independently asked for verification,
> so please don't deny it afterwards.
>
> ps. I need it soon, though "soon" is also left a little vague here.
>
> thanks a lot

Re: who uses Octave?

Jaroslav Hajek-2
Great, I think this will do.

Many thanks to all who responded and I wish you all a success in your
work, whether using Octave or not.

best regards

--
RNDr. Jaroslav Hajek, PhD
computing expert & GNU Octave developer
Prague, Czech Republic
url: www.highegg.matfyz.cz

Re: who uses Octave?

forkandwait
Jaroslav Hajek <highegg <at> gmail.com> writes:

> Many thanks to all who responded and I wish you all a success in your
> work, whether using Octave or not.

If you felt like summarizing the results and posting to the list, I would love
it.  I am advocating for a matlab / octave solution to a project at work, and
would be grateful for fodder for advocacy.

> best regards

Re: who uses Octave?

David Bateman
Did you look at the thread

http://old.nabble.com/Who-and-where-is-using-octave--tt14972709.html

and the thread from 2006 referenced in it as well.

D.

Re: who uses Octave?

Thomas Weber-8
On Tue, Mar 16, 2010 at 10:51:26AM -0700, dbateman wrote:

> Did you look at the thread
>
> http://old.nabble.com/Who-and-where-is-using-octave--tt14972709.html
>
> and the thread from 2006 referenced in it as well.
>
> D.

I'm surprised noone seems to have ever mentioned the 'Kursk'.
www.igh-essen.com/pdf/kursk-nluug.pdf

        Thomas

Re: who uses Octave?

David Bateman
Thomas Weber wrote:
> I'm surprised noone seems to have ever mentioned the 'Kursk'.
> www.igh-essen.com/pdf/kursk-nluug.pdf

That's one pretty cool use of Octave. Its a pity that even though the
simulations were done with Octave, a SimuLink/Matlab code was used to
train the operators in the end...

Cheers
David

Re: who uses Octave?

George Kousiouris

Hi, I am not sure whether it fits in the discussion, but in the context of the EU-funded project IRMOS (Interactive Realtime Multimedia Applications on Service Oriented Infrastructures), we have implemented a service oriented version of Octave for use in distributed infrastructures, for various performance prediction algorithms incorporation. The goal is not to offer Octave as as service, but to include its use in the core service management of the providers, as a tool.

We were aiming to contribute this addition as an open source component some time in the near future (after its finalization). Do you think that something like this would be interesting or worthwhile? If so, is there any repository that we can use?

Best regards,
George

David Bateman wrote:
Thomas Weber wrote:

I'm surprised noone seems to have ever mentioned the 'Kursk'.
www.igh-essen.com/pdf/kursk-nluug.pdf

That's one pretty cool use of Octave. Its a pity that even though the
simulations were done with Octave, a SimuLink/Matlab code was used to
train the operators in the end...

Cheers
David

Re: who uses Octave?

Søren Hauberg
fre, 26 03 2010 kl. 11:32 +0200, skrev George Kousiouris:
> Hi, I am not sure whether it fits in the discussion, but in the
> context of the EU-funded project IRMOS (Interactive Realtime
> Multimedia Applications on Service Oriented Infrastructures), we have
> implemented a service oriented version of Octave for use in
> distributed infrastructures, for various performance prediction
> algorithms incorporation. The goal is not to offer Octave as as
> service, but to include its use in the core service management of the
> providers, as a tool.

I have to admit that I don't really understand the above as I don't
really know the first thing about software-as-a-service and similar
concepts. But it sounds interesting. Could you explain briefly to an
ignorant such as myself what this means in practice?

> We were aiming to contribute this addition as an open source component
> some time in the near future (after its finalization). Do you think
> that something like this would be interesting or worthwhile? If so, is
> there any repository that we can use?

As I said, I don't quite understand what you have achieved, but it
sounds interesting to me. So, if you are willing to share, then I'm sure
we can help you. How you share this stuff depends on what kinds of
changes you've made. If you've changed how the interpreter works or
something like that, then you should start a thread about your work on
[hidden email]. If you provide a set of scripts and functions
then I guess it would be more suitable to share them on Octave-Forge as
a package. If this is the case, then you can start a thread on
[hidden email] about your work.

Thanks
Søren

Re: who uses Octave?

George Kousiouris

On Fri, March 26, 2010 18:09, Søren Hauberg wrote:
> fre, 26 03 2010 kl. 11:32 +0200, skrev George Kousiouris:
>>

> I have to admit that I don't really understand the above as I don't
> really know the first thing about software-as-a-service and similar
> concepts. But it sounds interesting. Could you explain briefly to an
> ignorant such as myself what this means in practice?

Well, when one is offering software as a service, it could mean two
things: offering its use through some kind of web interface, like the one
that circulated some days ago with the web server where you are able to
upload scripts and execute them, but it can also mean enable one software
to be used in a service sequence diagram. Our contribution is the latter
case. In many distributed environments, there are for example toolkits,
most of them written in Java, that perform a variety of functions, such as
service registry, service management, execution etc. One form of these
management actions may be performance estimation. For example when you
want to have an estimation regarding how much time a job will take to
execute, you take into account a set of historical data and perform some
kind of processing. This is a service that exposes an interface and can be
used by other services automatically in an integrated fashion. Each
service performs an action that gives added value to the sequence. For
example in this case we would have a service that takes as input a data
set, does some internal processing and produces an output. This can be
done by being invoked by another service that knows this interface and has
incorporated the "client" code inside.

Up to now, in the service oriented performance estimation field, this
meant for example to write a Java program that implements one specific
estimation method. This is of course time consuming and pretty complex,
not to mention Java drawbacks in implementing mathematical algorithms. So
we thought that an implementation that has this aforementioned service
interface but uses in its core Octave as the "processing" program would
decouple the method from the framework. Furthermore, it would minimize
development time, since Octave provides a wide range of tools for
implementing complex methods.

> As I said, I don't quite understand what you have achieved, but it
> sounds interesting to me. So, if you are willing to share, then I'm sure we
> can help you. How you share this stuff depends on what kinds of changes
> you've made. If you've changed how the interpreter works or something like
> that, then you should start a thread about your work on
> [hidden email]. If you provide a set of scripts and functions then
> I guess it would be more suitable to share them on Octave-Forge as
> a package. If this is the case, then you can start a thread on
> [hidden email] about your work.

We didn't change the core octave, we built a framework around it, that
enables it to  be executed in an automated service oriented way. This
consists mainly of suitable Java classes, interfaces and according Octave
scripts, so I guess the second list is what we must pursue.

If you need any more info don't hesitate to contact me.

Hope I have clarified things and not complicate them :)

Best regards,
George

> Thanks
> Søren

----

George Kousiouris
Research Associate
Division of Communications,
Electronics and Information Engineering

E-mail: [hidden email]

National Technical University of Athens
9 Heroon Polytechniou str., 157 73 Zografou, Athens, Greece