xmltree as octave package?

Muhali
With only little effort I was able to adapt the xmltree package for use in octave. I am sure that it is equally easy to turn it into an octave package (it is GPL) as it just requires some experience in packaging. I don't have that experience, but I can provide the patches that made it work fo me. See also earlier discussions on this list.

Is anybody interested?

Muhali

http://www.artefact.tk/software/matlab/xml

Re: xmltree as octave package?

Paul Dreik-2
I am definitely interested in using such a package, but currently I have
little time to help.
Paul

On 2013-01-10 09:39, Muhali wrote:

> With only little effort I was able to adapt the xmltree package for use in
> octave. I am sure that it is equally easy to turn it into an octave package
> (it is GPL) as it just requires some experience in packaging. I don't have
> that experience, but I can provide the patches that made it work fo me. See
> also earlier discussions on this list.
>
> Is anybody interested?
>
> Muhali
>
> http://www.artefact.tk/software/matlab/xml

Re: xmltree as octave package?

kingcrimson

Message: 6
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2013 00:39:41 -0800 (PST)
From: Muhali <[hidden email]>
To: [hidden email]
Subject: xmltree as octave package?

With only little effort I was able to adapt the xmltree package for use in
octave. I am sure that it is equally easy to turn it into an octave package
(it is GPL) as it just requires some experience in packaging. I don't have
that experience, but I can provide the patches that made it work fo me. See
also earlier discussions on this list.

Is anybody interested?

Muhali

http://www.artefact.tk/software/matlab/xml

Hi,

I am interested and I think it would not be difficult to make this into an Octave package.
On the other hand, when adapting other peopleś packages to work in Octave our approach
is usually to first try and convince the original author to include the the required compatibility
changes in their own version before forking the project.
Have you tried convincing the author of xmltree to apply your patches?

c.

Re: xmltree as octave package?

bpabbott
On Jan 10, 2013, at 3:39 AM, Muhali wrote:

> With only little effort I was able to adapt the xmltree package for use in
> octave. I am sure that it is equally easy to turn it into an octave package
> (it is GPL) as it just requires some experience in packaging. I don't have
> that experience, but I can provide the patches that made it work fo me. See
> also earlier discussions on this list.
>
> Is anybody interested?
>
> Muhali
>
> http://www.artefact.tk/software/matlab/xml

I'd you'd like to try to create a package ...

        http://www.gnu.org/software/octave/doc/interpreter/Creating-Packages.html#Creating-Packages

If not, you can add it to the task tracker ...

        https://savannah.gnu.org/task/?group=octave

Or create a "Package Projects" page on the wiki (similar to http://wiki.octave.org/Projects) and add an entry there.  That way it won't get forgotten.

Ben

Re: xmltree as octave package?

Carnë Draug-2
On 10 January 2013 08:39, Muhali <[hidden email]> wrote:
> With only little effort I was able to adapt the xmltree package for use in
> octave. I am sure that it is equally easy to turn it into an octave package
> (it is GPL) as it just requires some experience in packaging. I don't have
> that experience, but I can provide the patches that made it work fo me. See
> also earlier discussions on this list.

Hi Muhali

xmltree is all m files so package this is dead easy. Take a look at
the financial package for an example of this type of package.

Basically, create a directory with the name of the package (xmltree)
and within it, a directory named inst/ and the files DESCRIPTION and
COPYING. Place all the code .m functions inside the inst/ directory
(including the @xmltree directory with its contents). That's it. But I
think it may be better to have this as part of the io package which
already has a bunch of functions to deal with XML files.

Also, as it was already suggested, it's a good idea to share any
changes you made with the original author. This will make it much
easier to exchange fixes and updates later on. Also, I'm sure he'd
love to know others are interested on his work.

Carnë

Re: xmltree as octave package?

Muhali
> Have you tried convincing the author of xmltree to apply your patches?

yes. The good news is that Guillaume Flandin, the author of xmltree, is willing to package xmltree for octave.

M.